Week 9

 Week 9: Final Post


  1.  My first thoughts when reviewing the design process unit plan badge was to connect it to math or science, thankfully that was already confirmed in the instructions. Ultimately the plan would be very much grade dependent in considering their standards but I did have a few ideas jump out at me initially. In estimating object size and length to their actual measurements I would have the students make a list in excel or create a chart on Word or Google Docs that has the item name, the estimated measurement in inches, the estimated measurement in centimeters and then go around the school to measure those items and compare their estimated measurement to their actual measurements. When younger students need to identify different parts of a plant they can use the photo editing website we have used in class to highlight, circle, and label parts of a plant that they choose. Students could also use weather patterns throughout the season (such as rainfall or temperature) that they research or observe to create a line graph online. Each small group can create their own Kahoot quiz for the math lesson the next day. I struggle with technology myself so using creative forms of it in a lesson will be challenging and require more brainstorming! 

  2. As we enter the field of education one thing I continue to remind myself of is complacency. One of my top goals as an educator is to continue on my own path of learning. Learning By Design by Kalantzis and Cope emphasized that to me. They identify student engagement and learning from four aspects (eight in total when including both the inner and the outer ring). 

  • Experiencing 

    • The Known 

    • The New

  • Conceptualizing

    • By Naming

    • With Theory 

  • Analyzing

    • Functionally

    • Critically

  • Applying

    • Appropriately

    • Creatively 

In experiencing the new I hope to expose students to places and materials they may have never heard of before. I can do this through things we have learned in this course such as virtual field trips to places such as museums and the GA Aquarium. Conceptualizing with theory can be difficult for adults let alone elementary age students. I can aid in helping students practice connecting terms through encouraging out of the box thinking, ideas, and making my classroom a safe place to explore those thinking patterns. Analyzing critically is important for any individual. Students who practice this at a young age become more self aware and considerate of different ideas or opinions. I can incorporate this skill into my classroom by using Anonymous class sharing tools such as jam board which will allow students to share their thoughts without the fear of a negative reaction from their peers. Applying creativity is another goal of mine as a teacher of young children. I want students to be able to take what they learn and apply it to their own experience or life outside of the classroom. By using STEAM tools and having students engineering/creating models, structures, or presentations students will have a foundation of using techniques and tools in the classroom outside of school walls.


Comments

  1. You have so many great ideas and a tremendous conceptual command of the LBD Framework! As you refine the particular topic, problem, or design challenge you want students to pursue in the project you create, please let me know!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment