Week 5: Digital Citizenship

 Week 5

How to Behave Online

I signed up for ISTE (2020) sub-standard of Standard 2 for Students: Digital Citizen 1.2b Online Behavior. I find it extremely important that students be exposed to technology in education and academic resources, but just as important is for children to be aware of the dangers that come with the responsibility. They should have a comprehensive understanding of the permanency of their words when posting online. One other important aspect young people should be aware of is the potential dangers that come with interacting with strangers online. 

 

I believe that “Make use of compelling, relevant narratives” would be the most appropriate tool to utilize when teaching online safety to elementary school students. The article says that you can explain the risks of posting things online. You can also make a T chart listing safe and unsafe behaviors and information to share online. This is a collaborative activity that can be helpful and clear in what is and isn’t safe online practices. 


Comments

  1. Narratives and stories of digital citizenship can really make issues that seem far removed or "can't happen to me" more relatable and impactful for students. Great points here, Maddie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with the first half of your post. Students really need to understand the dangers of the internet and not just with what they post but, like you said, strangers. There is no telling who these kids interact with online and we must make sure to educate them and inform the of the predators out there. I also like your T-chart idea. That is a great way to get students involved and interacting on these safety issues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your post. Students need to learn about the dangers of being on the internet. They also need to learn how to prevent their social media from getting hacked. I also like the idea of the t-chart so the students can tell the differences between dangers and safety.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Maddie, I enjoyed reading your post! I completely agree that students should know the permanent impact they have on what they do online. I like the idea of making a T chart. It is visual and you can hang it up in your classroom for the entire year.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment