Week Two: The 21st Century Citizen

 

21st Century Citizen

Blog Post


On Tuesday our lecture was on 21st century citizens. Dr. Gierhart identified six characteristics that a 21st Century Citizen has: Skillful, Collaborative, Ethical, Resourceful, Analytical, and Communicative. We each rated them from 1-6 from what we believed we were most-least versed in. As someone going into education who consistently worries about not being tech savvy enough, I had a difficult time ranking these qualities. 


Ultimately, I decided that of the options that were given collaborative and ethical would be my strong suits. I consider myself to be extremely ethical online and on social media especially. I am keenly aware of the need to be an example and the standards set upon public educators to be respectful, especially when  conducting online posts. Keeping your online persona thoughtful and proactive can be an opportunity to be an example to your students and keep yourself safe as an educator. My strongest suit from the six characteristics would be collaborative. I work well with others and consider myself to be a proactive communicator. Though I tend to fall back and observed in large groups, when given the opportunity or responsibility I am very social and enjoy collaborating, bouncing of other people's ideas, and engaging in meaningful conversation. 

Comments

  1. I have often found that digitally-mediated collaboration can be helpful for those who may tend to be more reticent in an in-person group setting, as they can take their time, form thoughts, and complete work synchronously or asynchronously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes a lot of sense. I hadn't considered that perspective!

      Delete
  2. Hey Maddie! This is my first time visiting your blog! Its super cute! Anyway, I definitely
    agree with you that you are
    able to collaborate well with others! I think we might have worked in a group at some point by now and I for sure can see that you work well with others. That will be extremely helpful being an educator!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment